Steel & Oil INDUSTRIAL MEMORY ARCHIVE
Catalog / Oral Histories
OHS-AS-127
Real material from the Anshan field collection (2026), shared voluntarily and de-identified per the archive’s consent and redaction rules.
OHS-AS-127 Oral History Anshan, Liaoning

A fitter taught file-stroke by file-stroke, whose unit gave him his homes (1950s generation)

鞍钢钳工口述:师傅手把手教出的手艺(1950年代生,化名)

A 1950s-generation worker assigned to Angang by school assignment in the 1970s, who learned fitter work (钳工) with his master guiding his file hand-over-hand, later also doing management/office work…

Response collected July 2026

Description

The respondent, born in the 1950s, entered Angang in the 1970s by school assignment and worked in front-line operation and later management/office roles. His trade was fitter (钳工): he describes learning to file equipment surfaces flat with his master teaching him hand-over-hand how to control the file's pressure. His working day began at 8 a.m. with the pre-shift meeting, then equipment inspection at the work site. What the danwei took care of marked him most through housing: the unit assigned him housing several times, 'improving my conditions — I will never forget it.' He calls the old unit 'one big family' where everyone helped whoever was in difficulty, and remembers the family compound as warmer than kin. Through the late-1990s restructuring he reports no great change: he stayed at his original post, learned of changes through meetings, and felt the effects mostly in housing/welfare and medical/retirement matters. He judges the old skills 'very useful' afterwards and names punctuality as his generation's most underrated ability, and 'difference in ways of thinking — not the north-south climate' as the hardest adaptation for those who left. He is proud of Angang 'not only a great steel enterprise, but one that raised many outstanding people,' rejects the stereotype that his generation lacked innovation, and wants the young to remember one sentence: mastering a trade is what matters most. No personal names, ID numbers, addresses, or phone numbers are present in the record.

世代 / generation: 1950s · 身份 / role: worker (本人在鞍钢,一线操作/管理) · 行当 / trade: 钳工 (fitter) · 实物 / objects: 自家物件均遗失;访谈现场拍摄了一部纪念画册(见关联记录)

In their own words selected highlights, verbatim, de-identified

掌握一门技术是最主要的。
单位多次分配了我的住房,改善了我的住房条件,我终生难忘。
不忘过去,勇往直前。

Full interview parallel text

The complete question-and-answer record, in the order the respondent answered it (45 exchanges). The Chinese is the respondent’s own wording, transcribed from the photographed pages; illegible passages are marked 【难辨】 / [illegible] rather than guessed. The English is a working translation by the editor, not part of the source.

Left column: respondent’s Chinese, as written · Right column: editor’s working translation

您大概是哪一代人?

QRoughly which generation are you from?

1950年代

AThe 1950s.

您与鞍钢/相关单位的关系?

QWhat is your relationship to Angang / a related work unit?

本人在鞍钢

AI worked at Angang myself.

您当年大概做哪一类工作?

QRoughly what kind of work did you do back then?

一线操作;管理/办公

AFront-line operation; also management/office work.

您大概在哪个时期参加工作?

QRoughly in which period did you start working?

1970年代

AThe 1970s.

您愿意说说当时为什么进这个单位吗?

QWould you say why you entered this work unit?

学校分配。

ASchool assignment.

您还记得刚参加工作时的一天吗?带我从早到晚走一遍。

QDo you remember a day when you first started working? Walk me through it.

8点上班,先开班前会,然后去工作现场检查设备。

AWork started at 8 a.m.; first the pre-shift meeting, then out to the work site to inspect the equipment.

当时学技术主要靠什么?

QHow did you mainly learn the trade back then?

师傅带;当时主要靠师傅传授技术。

AA master taught me (apprenticeship); back then it mainly relied on the master passing on the skill.

您觉得当年最重要的本事是什么?

QWhat do you think was the most important skill back then?

最重要的本事是技术。

AThe most important asset was technical skill.

能讲一件让您觉得“这活儿只有老工人才干得好”的事吗?

QCan you tell of one job where only a veteran worker could do it well?

我学钳工打磨设备平面,就是师傅手把手教我如何把握好锉刀力度,完成任务的。

AI learned fitter work, filing equipment surfaces flat — my master taught me hand-over-hand how to control the pressure on the file until I could do the job.

单位当年管的事,哪些让您印象最深?

QOf the things the work unit took care of, which left the deepest impression?

住房。单位多次分配了我的住房,改善了我的住房条件,我终生难忘。

AHousing. The unit assigned me housing several times and improved my living conditions — I will never forget it as long as I live.

在您心里,当年的单位更像什么?

QIn your heart, what was the work unit more like back then?

一个大家庭。不管谁有困难,大家都互相帮助。

AOne big family. Whoever ran into difficulty, everyone helped each other.

厂区、家属院、食堂、澡堂……哪个场景您最难忘?

QThe plant, family compound, canteen, bathhouse… which scene is hardest to forget?

到家属大院印象深刻,单位很多人天天见面,其乐融融,很多人至今难以忘怀,甚至比亲属还亲切。

AThe family compound left the deepest impression — so many people from the unit saw each other every day, in great warmth. Many are unforgettable to this day, closer even than relatives.

1990年代末到2000年代初,您的单位有变化吗?

QIn the late 1990s to early 2000s, did your unit change?

没太大变化

ANo major change.

那段时间您本人的经历是?

QWhat was your own path in that period?

留原岗

AI stayed in my original post.

当时消息是怎么传到您这里的?

QHow did the news reach you at the time?

开会

AThrough meetings.

那几年对家里影响最大的是什么?

QIn those years, what affected your family most?

住房/福利;医疗/退休

AHousing/welfare; medical care/retirement.

同车间的人后来的路一样吗?

QDid people from the same workshop end up on the same path?

应该说影响差不多,大企业里各规定和制度大体是一样的。

AThe impact was roughly the same for everyone — in a big enterprise the rules and systems are much alike.

转折之后您去了哪里?

QAfter the turning point, where did you go?

留原单位

AI stayed with my original unit.

老手艺后来还有用吗?

QWere the old skills still useful afterwards?

很有用

AVery useful.

您觉得那批工人身上最被低估的能力是什么?

QWhat ability of that generation of workers do you think is most underrated?

我工作这些年觉得守时是最重要的。

AIn all my working years I felt punctuality was the most important thing.

如果说“工厂教会了我们一套本事”,哪些能带走?

QIf 'the factory taught us a set of skills,' which could be carried away?

基本上还是用得上的。

ABasically most of it could still be put to use.

离开鞍山的人,最难适应的是什么?

QFor those who left Anshan, what was hardest to adapt to?

最难适应的是“观念不同”,而不是南北的气候。

AThe hardest thing to adapt to was the difference in ways of thinking — not the north-south climate.

您和老同事现在还有联系吗?靠什么维系?

QAre you still in touch with old colleagues? Through what?

单位组织

AThrough activities organized by the unit.

单位不在了/改制了以后,大家的关系变了吗?

QAfter the unit was gone/restructured, did relations change?

大家还是很团结的,都能互相帮助。

APeople remained united and still help one another.

您现在的邻里/朋友圈,还有当年的“单位味儿”吗?

QDoes your neighborhood/circle today still have that 'work-unit flavor'?

有。

AYes, it does.

当年师徒关系,更接近哪种?

QThe master-apprentice relationship back then was closer to which kind?

正式

AFormal.

您现在跟年轻人谈过去的工厂生活多吗?

QDo you often talk with young people about factory life?

很少

ARarely.

您去过鞍钢博物馆或类似纪念场所吗?

QHave you visited the Angang museum or similar memorial places?

去过

AI have.

看到高炉、厂房、老照片,您能认出当年的岗位吗?

QSeeing blast furnaces, workshops, old photos — can you recognize your old post?

AYes, I can.

您对现在鞍山推的“工业文化/文旅”了解多少?

QHow much do you know of Anshan's current industrial-culture tourism push?

了解一点

AI know a little.

您家是否保存过和鞍钢/单位有关的物件?

QHas your family kept objects related to Angang / the unit?

没有

ANo.

您的子女/晚辈了解您当年的工作吗?

QDo your children / the younger generation know about your old work?

没有

ANot really.

您希望他们进类似的大企业吗?

QWould you want them to enter a similar large enterprise?

随他们

AIt is up to them.

您会主动给他们讲厂里的事吗?

QDo you bring up factory stories with them?

很少

ARarely.

您最希望下一代从您这代人身上学到什么?

QWhat do you most hope the next generation learns from your generation?

做人。

AHow to conduct oneself.

如果他们只记住一句话,您希望是什么?

QIf they remember only one sentence, what should it be?

掌握一门技术是最主要的。

AMastering a trade is what matters most.

回头看,鞍钢/单位对您意味着什么?

QLooking back, what did Angang / the unit mean to you?

在鞍钢工作是我的骄傲,因为鞍钢不仅是产钢铁的大企业,也为社会培育了很多优秀人才。

AWorking at Angang is my pride — Angang is not only a great steel-making enterprise, it also raised many outstanding people for society.

用一句话总结您这代工人的经历?

QSum up your generation of workers' experience in one sentence?

不忘过去,勇往直前。

ANever forget the past; keep pressing forward.

您觉得外人最容易误解你们这代工人什么?

QWhat do outsiders most easily misunderstand about your generation of workers?

最容易误解的是说我们这代人保守、太老实,缺少创新精神。

AThe commonest misreading is that our generation was conservative, too honest and docile, lacking any spirit of innovation.

有没有哪个问题您希望我不要记录、不要引用?

QIs there anything you would rather I not record or quote?

有(未注明具体内容)

AYes (marked '有', without specifying what).

整理好后,您想先看一遍再决定是否公开吗?

QOnce compiled, would you like to review it before deciding on publication?

想看

AYes, I would like to see it.

以后若需要补充访谈,您是否愿意再联系?

QWould you be willing to be contacted again for a follow-up?

不用了

ANo need.

您是否愿意日后接受一次更深入的访谈?

QWould you be willing to give a more in-depth interview later?

再说

AWe will see.

照片/物件登记卡:物件名称与来历

QPhoto/object registration card: object and its story

都遗失了,不能提供了。

AThey have all been lost; I cannot provide any.

照片/物件登记卡:大约年代

QPhoto/object registration card: approximate date

记不清了。

AI no longer remember.

Significance to the comparison

The Anshan side of the comparison in a first-person voice: apprenticeship as the transmission of skill, the danwei as landlord and family, and a restructuring experienced as continuity rather than rupture. Together with the two other July 2026 paper questionnaires it completes the fitter/inspector/descendant triangle of the collection.

Provenance

Field collection
Paper questionnaire (职工本人版) completed voluntarily in Anshan, July 2026; photographed page by page; transcribed and de-identified for the archive. Original held privately.

Evidence media

  • Completed paper questionnaire, 20 photographed pages; 44 question-and-answer exchanges plus the object registration card transcribed (original held privately).

Sources two independent sources, each resolving

  1. Anshan field collection questionnaire response, July 2026 (original held privately).
  2. Steel & Oil archive field instrument (职工本人版), 2026.

Related records

Cite this record

Zitian Qiao, ed., “A fitter taught file-stroke by file-stroke, whose unit gave him his homes (1950s generation),” Steel & Oil: Anshan–Houston Industrial Memory Archive, OHS-AS-127, version 0.2 (field-collected, Anshan, 2026). Citation formats and the stable-identifier scheme →