Steel & Oil INDUSTRIAL MEMORY ARCHIVE
Catalog / Oral Histories
OHS-AS-124
Real material from the Anshan field collection (2026), shared voluntarily and de-identified per the archive’s consent and redaction rules.
OHS-AS-124 Oral History Anshan, Liaoning

A child of the canteen who left for medicine in Shenyang (1970s generation)

鞍钢后勤子女口述:食堂的馒头与去沈阳的路(1970 年代生,化名)

Born in the 1970s to a mother who spent her working life in an Angang staff canteen, this respondent lived the 1990s cutbacks at home, chose medicine for its steadiness, and was assigned to Shenyang…

Response collected July 2026

Description

This respondent was born in the 1970s; their mother worked her whole life in an Angang staff canteen, and the family's daily bread was literally the danwei's — mantou and pickles brought home after her shift, grain and oil coupons issued at festivals, housing, medical care, and kindergarten all provided, every neighbor a workmate from the canteen or the shops. They are one of the archive's respondents who experienced the 1990s personally rather than through family stories: the canteen's staff was cut back, their mother changed posts, colleagues bought out their positions and left for other cities, and household income dipped. Their mother's advice drew the conclusion — a logistics post only earned so much; find an industry with a future, even if it means a provincial capital.

They chose clinical nursing — a livelihood-security field, they say, chosen under the influence of a mother's steady rear-services post — and a year-2000 work assignment sent them to a general hospital in Shenyang, where they settled long-term. Their word for their mother and Angang is 相守, staying by each other: decades of serving the whole plant's workers, morning and night beside the works. Asked what outsiders most misunderstand about Anshan, they answer for the rear services: people see only the steelmaking shops and overlook the canteens, bathhouses, and kindergartens that held them up — and they ask that oral history interview the logistics staff, the workers'-school teachers, and the hospital staff, "to restore plant life whole."

In their own words selected highlights, verbatim, de-identified

母亲下班会带食堂馒头、咸菜回家。
总说安稳生活最难得。
只聚焦炼钢车间,忽略食堂、澡堂、幼教等无数后勤支撑者。

Full interview parallel text

The complete question-and-answer record, in the order the respondent answered it (62 exchanges). The Chinese is the respondent’s own wording, transcribed from the photographed pages; illegible passages are marked 【难辨】 / [illegible] rather than guessed. The English is a working translation by the editor, not part of the source.

Left column: respondent’s Chinese, as written · Right column: editor’s working translation

您大概是哪一代人?

QRoughly which generation are you?

1970 年代

A1970s

您和鞍钢/相关单位的关系?

QWhat is your relationship to Ansteel / a related work unit?

父/母曾在

AMy father/mother worked there

您小时候主要在哪里成长?

QWhere did you mainly grow up as a child?

鞍山市区

AAnshan city proper

您现在大概生活在哪里?

QRoughly where do you live now?

辽宁但非鞍山

AIn Liaoning but not Anshan

您现在从事哪一类工作/学习?

QWhat kind of work/study do you currently do?

医疗

AMedicine / healthcare

您对九十年代那段变化的记忆,主要来自?

QYour memory of the changes in the 1990s mainly comes from?

我自己亲身经历过

AI experienced it myself

小时候,家里长辈常提鞍钢/单位吗?

QAs a child, did the elders at home often mention Ansteel / the work unit?

偶尔

AOccasionally

先用您自己的词:长辈提到单位时是什么感觉?

QIn your own words: how did elders feel when mentioning the work unit?

【勾选】稳定、复杂、怀念 【手写】母亲在职工食堂干了一辈子,怀念当年全厂集体就餐的热闹,但九十年代后勤缩编也让她心里失落。

A[checked] Stability; complicated; nostalgia [handwritten] My mother worked her whole life in the staff canteen. She misses the liveliness of the whole plant eating together, but the 1990s cutbacks to the rear services also left her with a sense of loss.

鞍钢/单位对家庭生活影响大吗?

QDid Ansteel / the work unit have a big influence on family life?

很大

AVery large

主要体现在哪些方面?

QMainly in what respects?

【勾选】住房、子女教育、医疗、邻里、退休福利 【手写】一日三餐依托职工食堂,住房、看病、子女幼儿园全部由单位配套,邻里全是食堂、车间工友。

A[checked] Housing; children's education; medical care; neighbors; retirement benefits [handwritten] Three meals a day came from the staff canteen; housing, medical care, and the children's kindergarten were all provided by the unit; every neighbor was a workmate from the canteen or the shops.

小时候您觉得父母的单位更像什么?

QAs a child, what did your parents' work unit feel more like to you?

大家庭、社区、保障

AA big family; a community; security

有没有一个具体的小事,让您小时候感到「单位」就在你们家生活里?(一次分房、一次厂庆、食堂、澡堂、生病去厂医院…)

QIs there one small concrete incident that made you feel as a child that the 'work unit' was right there in your family life? (a housing allocation, a factory anniversary, the canteen, the bathhouse, going to the factory hospital when sick...)

母亲下班会带食堂馒头、咸菜回家;厂里逢年过节发放粮油票,是全家重要生活补给。

AMy mother would bring mantou and pickles home from the canteen after work. At festivals the plant issued grain and oil coupons — an important part of what the family lived on.

那段时间,您家有没有明显变化?

QDuring that period, did your family undergo obvious change?

一些

ASome

主要是哪些方面?

QMainly in what respects?

【勾选】父母岗位、收入压力、亲友离开鞍山 【手写】后勤食堂缩减人员,母亲岗位调整,不少食堂同事买断去外地谋生,家里收入小幅下降。

A[checked] Parents' posts; income pressure; relatives and friends leaving Anshan [handwritten] The canteen cut staff and my mother's post was adjusted. Quite a few canteen colleagues took buyouts and left to make a living elsewhere. Household income dipped.

长辈当时的工作状态?

QWhat was the elders' work situation at the time?

换岗

AChanged posts

家里会讨论「以后孩子要不要留在鞍山」吗?

QDid your family discuss whether the children should stay in Anshan in the future?

偶尔

AOccasionally

如果讨论过,长辈是什么态度?先选,再讲一件具体的事或一句他们说过的话。

QIf discussed, what was the elders' attitude? Choose, then give a specific thing or something they said.

【勾选】去外地、尊重我自己选 【手写】母亲说后勤岗位收入有限,希望我找更有发展的行业,愿意我去沈阳这类省会城市发展。

A[checked] Go elsewhere; respected my own choice [handwritten] My mother said a logistics post only earned so much; she hoped I would find an industry with more of a future, and was willing for me to go develop in a provincial capital like Shenyang.

您是否曾离开鞍山学习/工作/生活?

QHave you ever left Anshan to study/work/live?

是,后来离开了

AYes — and I stayed away

若离开,大概在什么时候?

QIf you left, roughly when?

第一次工作

AAt my first job

离开鞍山的主要原因?

QThe main reason for leaving Anshan?

【勾选】工作机会、收入、专业本地难就业 【手写】鞍山医疗机构规模有限,沈阳医院平台更大,专业发展空间更强,2000 年工作分配直接前往沈阳。

A[checked] Job opportunities; income; hard to find local work in my field [handwritten] Anshan's medical institutions were limited in scale; Shenyang's hospitals were a bigger platform with more room to grow in my specialty. My year-2000 work assignment sent me straight to Shenyang.

若您留在/回到鞍山,主要原因?

QIf you stayed in / returned to Anshan, the main reason?

ANone — I did not stay.

带我回到您决定走 / 决定留 / 决定回来的那个时刻:当时在想什么?是什么让您拍板?

QTake me back to the moment you decided to leave / stay / return: what were you thinking? What made you decide?

医疗行业省会平台差距明显,鞍山晋升、学习机会少,为长期职业发展决定定居沈阳。

AIn medicine the gap between a provincial-capital platform and Anshan was clear — fewer chances to advance or study in Anshan. For long-term career development I decided to settle in Shenyang.

如果您离开了:当时去了哪类地方?

QIf you left: what kind of place did you go to at the time?

省会(沈阳等)

AA provincial capital (Shenyang etc.)

落脚在哪类行业?(大概即可)

QWhat kind of industry did you settle into? (approximate is fine)

临床护理、综合医院医务。

AClinical nursing and medical work at a general hospital.

现在比在鞍山,过得怎样?

QCompared with life in Anshan, how are you doing now?

更好

ABetter

这次离开是?

QThis leaving was?

长期定居

ASettled long-term

您身边同龄人,离开的多还是留下的多?

QAmong your peers, did more leave or more stay?

离开多

AMore left

您觉得年轻人离开鞍山,最主要因为什么?

QWhy do you think young people leave Anshan, most of all?

收入、行业选择少

AIncome; few industries to choose from

您想过以后回鞍山长期生活吗?

QHave you thought of returning to live in Anshan long-term?

想过,可能性不大

AI have thought about it; not likely

要让更多年轻人愿意留/回鞍山,您觉得最重要的是什么?

QTo make more young people willing to stay in / return to Anshan, what do you think matters most?

【勾选】学校、医疗、新产业、创业环境 【手写】完善服务业、医疗、教育配套,拓宽就业赛道。

A[checked] Schools; medical care; new industries; an environment for starting up [handwritten] Fill out the services, medical, and education infrastructure, and widen the range of jobs.

父母那一代从鞍钢/单位生活中,传给您最多的是什么?

QFrom their Ansteel / work-unit life, what did your parents' generation pass on to you most?

【勾选】吃苦耐劳、重视稳定、重视集体 【手写】母亲食堂工作一辈子精打细算,待人热心,重视集体互助,总说安稳生活最难得。

A[checked] Endurance of hardship; valuing stability; valuing the collective [handwritten] A lifetime in the canteen made my mother careful with every cent and warm to everyone, and she valued mutual help. She always said a settled life is the rarest thing.

父母教过您具体的工作技术吗?

QDid your parents teach you specific work skills?

主要讲故事不教技术

AMostly told stories rather than teaching technique

若讲过,通常是哪类(不必讲参数或内部流程)?

QIf they did tell you, usually what kind (no need for parameters or internal process)?

【勾选】其他 【手写】食堂物资紧张年代如何节约食材,和不同车间工友和睦相处的道理。

A[checked] Other [handwritten] How to stretch ingredients in the years when canteen supplies were tight, and how to get along with workmates from every shop.

父母的工作经历,对您的职业选择有影响吗?

QDid your parents' work experience influence your career choice?

一些

ASome

更接近哪一种?

QWhich is closer (to your inclination)?

【勾选】想找稳定工作 【手写】受母亲稳定后勤岗位影响,优先选择医疗这类民生保障类行业。

A[checked] Wanted stable work [handwritten] Influenced by my mother's steady rear-services post, I chose a livelihood-security field like medicine first.

您有没有因为父母的经历,刻意避开或刻意选择某个职业/行业?讲讲。

QDid your parents' experience make you deliberately avoid or choose a career/industry? Tell me.

【勾选】有一点 【手写】不想从事高温、体力类工业后勤,选择环境更好的医疗服务。

A[checked] A little [handwritten] I did not want hot, physical industrial logistics work, and chose medical service with better conditions.

父母那一代最希望您得到什么?

QWhat did your parents' generation most hope you would gain?

【勾选】稳定、更高收入、不离家太远 【手写】工作稳定、离家不算太远、收入稳定。

A[checked] Stability; higher income; not too far from home [handwritten] Stable work, not too far from home, steady income.

您升学/找工作/离开或回鞍山时,父母的老同事或单位关系帮过忙吗?

QWhen you went to school / looked for work / left or returned to Anshan, did your parents' old colleagues or work-unit connections help?

一点

AA little

若帮过,主要哪方面?

QIf they helped, mainly in what way?

【勾选】其他 【手写】打听外地就业信息、生活建议。

A[checked] Other [handwritten] Finding out about jobs elsewhere, and advice about living away.

家里现在还和父母以前的同事、邻居、师傅、徒弟联系吗?

QDoes your family still keep in touch with your parents' former colleagues, neighbors, masters, and apprentices?

很少

ARarely

您觉得这种老单位关系,对子女这一代还有影响吗?

QDo you think this kind of old work-unit tie still influences the children's generation?

基本没有

ABasically none

以前的单位社区,和现在的普通城市社区有什么不同?(邻里、互助、熟人社会、孩子成长环境…)

QHow was the old work-unit community different from an ordinary city neighborhood today? (neighbors, mutual aid, acquaintance society, children's environment...)

老厂区全员熟识,遇事互相接济;现代小区邻里陌生。

AIn the old plant district everyone knew everyone and helped each other through things; in a modern residential compound the neighbors are strangers.

听到「鞍钢」「钢城」,您第一反应是什么?

QHearing 'Ansteel' / 'Steel City', what is your first reaction?

【勾选】怀念、亲切 【手写】承载我的童年家属院生活,一提到职工食堂、厂区澡堂就充满回忆。

A[checked] Nostalgia; closeness [handwritten] It carries my childhood in the family courtyard — mention the staff canteen or the plant bathhouse and the memories flood in.

您去过鞍钢博物馆、孟泰纪念馆或类似场所吗?

QHave you been to the Ansteel Museum, the Meng Tai Memorial Hall, or similar places?

听说过

AHeard of them

这些地方对年轻人有用吗?

QAre these places useful for young people?

主要是纪念意义

AMainly commemorative

您觉得哪些记忆最容易消失?

QWhich memories do you think are most likely to disappear?

【勾选】老邻里关系、单位生活方式、家庭故事 【手写】后勤职工故事、集体食堂生活、老邻里往来。

A[checked] Old neighborly ties; the unit way of life; family stories [handwritten] The stories of rear-services workers, collective canteen life, the old comings and goings between neighbors.

若做一个「鞍山老工业记忆」资料库,您觉得最该保存什么?

QIf an 'Anshan old-industry memory' archive were built, what do you think should most be preserved?

【勾选】家属和子女的故事 【手写】家属、后勤服务人员口述,弥补只记录一线工人的短板。

A[checked] The stories of family members and children [handwritten] Oral histories of family members and rear-services staff, to make up for the gap of recording only front-line workers.

您家是否保存过和鞍钢/单位有关的物件?(可多选)

QHas your family kept any objects related to Ansteel / the work unit? (multiple choice)

没有

ANothing kept

您会给孩子或晚辈讲鞍钢/鞍山的故事吗?

QDo you tell your children or younger relatives stories of Ansteel / Anshan?

很少

ARarely

讲这些时,您更想传达什么?

QWhen telling these, what do you most want to convey?

勤俭过日子、工业城市发展历史。

ALiving thriftily, and the history of how the industrial city developed.

您希望下一代以后留在鞍山吗?

QDo you hope the next generation will stay in Anshan?

看鞍山未来发展

ADepends on how Anshan develops

您希望下一代进入制造/工程/钢铁/能源相关行业吗?

QDo you hope the next generation enters manufacturing/engineering/steel/energy-related industries?

看他们兴趣、不好说

ADepends on their interests; hard to say

「稳定工作」在您这一代和父母那一代之间,含义变了吗?

QHas the meaning of a 'stable job' changed between your generation and your parents' generation?

【勾选】一些 【手写】母亲那代稳定=厂区后勤终身岗;我们稳定包含医疗、教育等各类民生单位。

A[checked] Somewhat [handwritten] For my mother's generation, stability meant a lifetime rear-services post at the plant; for ours it includes all kinds of livelihood institutions — hospitals, schools.

「离开家乡」在您这代人眼里是?

QIn the eyes of your generation, what is 'leaving one's hometown'?

普通选择、复杂,不能简单说

AAn ordinary choice; complicated — cannot be put simply

用一个词形容父母那代和鞍钢的关系,您会用哪个?为什么?

QIn one word, how would you describe the relationship between your parents' generation and Ansteel? Why?

相守。母亲几十年后勤,一辈子服务全厂职工,与厂区朝夕相伴。

AXiangshou — staying by each other. My mother spent decades in the rear services, a lifetime serving the whole plant's workers, morning and night in the plant's company.

用一个词形容您自己和鞍山的关系,您会用哪个?为什么?

QIn one word, how would you describe your own relationship with Anshan? Why?

故乡。成长之地,亲人还在,但职业发展选择留在省会。

AGuxiang — hometown. Where I grew up and where family still is; but for my career I chose to stay in the provincial capital.

您觉得外地人或年轻人最容易误解鞍山什么?

QWhat do you think outsiders or young people most easily misunderstand about Anshan?

只聚焦炼钢车间,忽略食堂、澡堂、幼教等无数后勤支撑者。

AFocusing only on the steelmaking shops, and overlooking the countless supporters behind them — the canteens, the bathhouses, the kindergartens.

您觉得我们这代人做研究时,应该怎样更尊重地理解您父母那一代?

QHow do you think our generation, when doing research, should understand your parents' generation more respectfully?

除一线操作工,也要采访后勤、子弟校、医院配套职工,完整还原厂区生活。

AInterview not only front-line operators but also the logistics, workers'-school, and hospital staff, to restore plant life whole.

有没有哪个问题您希望我不要记录、不要引用,或引用前必须再问您?

QIs there any question you'd like me not to record, not to quote, or to ask you again before quoting?

没有

ANothing

整理好后,您想先看一遍再决定是否公开吗?

QAfter it's compiled, would you like to review it first before deciding whether to make it public?

想看

AI would like to see it first

以后若需要补充访谈,您是否愿意通过介绍人再联系?

QIf a follow-up interview is needed later, would you be willing to be contacted again through the introducer?

不确定

ANot sure

您是否愿意日后接受一次更深入的访谈?如果您的父母长辈方便,是否也愿意引荐他们一起参与?

QWould you be willing to take part in a more in-depth interview later? And if your parents/elders are available, would you introduce them to take part too?

再说

AWe will see

Significance to the comparison

A child's-eye record of the canteen world that OHS-AS-121 describes from behind the woks — the mantou brought home, the coupons at festivals — and the collection's clearest brief for its own method: the respondent explicitly asks that archives of the steel city record family members and rear-services staff, not only front-line workers.

Provenance

Field collection
Digital questionnaire completed voluntarily in Anshan, July 2026; transcribed and de-identified for the archive. Original held privately.

Evidence media

  • Completed digital questionnaire, 28 pages; 62 question-and-answer exchanges transcribed verbatim (original held privately).

Sources two independent sources, each resolving

  1. Anshan field collection questionnaire response, July 2026 (original held privately).
  2. Steel & Oil archive field instrument (职工本人版 / 子女·晚辈版), 2026.
Cite this record

Zitian Qiao, ed., “A child of the canteen who left for medicine in Shenyang (1970s generation),” Steel & Oil: Anshan–Houston Industrial Memory Archive, OHS-AS-124, version 0.2 (field-collected, Anshan, 2026). Citation formats and the stable-identifier scheme →