A 1980s-Born Educator's Family Memory of Angang and Return to Anshan
Description
The respondent, born in the 1980s and raised in urban Anshan, comes from an Angang steel family whose parents and grandparents worked in the plant or its associated work units; their memory of the late-1990s changes comes mainly from listening to elders because they were young at the time. They left Anshan for university and then developed a career in education in the more economically dynamic south (Yangtze River Delta), before returning to Anshan, where they now live and work in education/research. They recall the work unit as woven into family life (free showers, unit-allocated housing, a free factory clinic) and describe their elders' feeling toward the danwei as proud, while noting that the parents' generation endured a hard life and just hoped their child would become a teacher and live better. They say most of their peers have left Anshan, mainly for higher incomes and more job opportunities, and that outsiders most easily misunderstand Anshan by equating the whole city with the Angang steelworks. They hold onto Anshan as home—born and raised there—while keeping the next generation's path open to their own interests.
世代 / generation: 1980年代(第二/第三代钢城子女) · 身份 / role or relationship: descendant / 子女·晚辈(父母、祖父母曾在鞍钢及相关单位) · 提及的物件与场所 / objects and places recalled: 证书(一件家藏证书,大约1971年,登记卡登记);母亲的工作证;老照片;老物件
In their own words selected highlights, verbatim, de-identified
我经常去妈单位洗澡,因为是福利不收钱
鞍山是我的家乡,我出生在鞍山,长在鞍山
最容易误解鞍山就是鞍钢
Full interview parallel text
The complete question-and-answer record, in the order the respondent answered it (63 exchanges). The Chinese is the respondent’s own wording, transcribed from the photographed pages; illegible passages are marked 【难辨】 / [illegible] rather than guessed. The English is a working translation by the editor, not part of the source.
Left column: respondent’s Chinese, as written · Right column: editor’s working translation
问您大概是哪一代人?
QWhich generation do you roughly belong to?
答1980年代
AThe 1980s.
问您和鞍钢/相关单位的关系?
QWhat is your relationship to Angang / a related work unit?
答父/母曾在;祖父母曾在;从小住鞍钢社区附近
AMy parents once worked there; my grandparents once worked there; I grew up living near an Angang community.
问您小时候主要在哪里成长?
QWhere did you mainly grow up?
答鞍山市区
AUrban Anshan.
问您现在大概生活在哪里?
QWhere do you roughly live now?
答仍在鞍山
AStill in Anshan.
问您现在从事哪一类工作/学习?
QWhat kind of work/study are you in now?
答教育/科研
AEducation / research.
问您对九十年代那段变化的记忆,主要来自?
QYour memory of the 1990s changes mainly comes from?
答我当时年纪小,主要是听家里长辈讲的
AI was young then; it is mainly from what my elders told me.
问小时候,家里长辈常提鞍钢/单位吗?
QAs a child, did your elders often mention Angang / the work unit?
答偶尔
AOccasionally.
问先用您自己的词:长辈提到单位时是什么感觉?
QIn your own words first: what feeling did your elders have when mentioning the work unit?
答骄傲;又骄傲又自豪
AProud; both proud and full of pride.
问鞍钢/单位对家庭生活影响大吗?
QDid Angang / the work unit greatly affect family life?
答很大
AVery much.
问主要体现在哪些方面?
QIn which aspects mainly?
答住房;(手写)我妈单位分配的住房【难辨】
AHousing; (handwritten) the housing allocated by my mom's work unit [partly illegible].
问小时候您觉得父母的单位更像什么?
QAs a child, what did your parents' work unit feel more like to you?
答普通工作
AAn ordinary job.
问有没有一个具体的小事,让您小时候感到「单位」就在你们家生活里?
QWas there a concrete small event that made you feel, as a child, that the work unit was part of your family's life?
答我经常去妈单位洗澡,因为是福利不收钱
AI often went to bathe at my mom's work unit, because it was a welfare benefit and free of charge.
问那段时间,您家有没有明显变化?
QDuring that period, did your family see obvious changes?
答年纪小不清楚
AI was too young to know clearly.
问主要是哪些方面?
QIn which aspects mainly?
答其他;(手写)因为太小记不清
AOther; (handwritten) I was too young to remember clearly.
问长辈当时的工作状态?
QWhat was your elders' work status at the time?
答留原岗
AStayed in their original post.
问家里会讨论「以后孩子要不要留在鞍山」吗?
QDid your family discuss whether the child should stay in Anshan?
答偶尔
AOccasionally.
问如果讨论过,长辈是什么态度?
QIf discussed, what was your elders' attitude?
答(手写)父母尊重儿女选择
A(handwritten) My parents respected their children's choice.
问您是否曾离开鞍山学习/工作/生活?
QHave you ever left Anshan to study/work/live?
答是,离开又回来了
AYes, I left and then came back.
问若离开,大概在什么时候?
QIf you left, roughly when?
答上大学
AFor university.
问离开鞍山的主要原因?
QMain reason for leaving Anshan?
答上学;(手写)大学毕业后去南方发展
ASchooling; (handwritten) after graduating from college, went south to develop a career.
问若您留在/回到鞍山,主要原因?
QIf you stayed in / returned to Anshan, main reason?
答其他;(手写)因【难辨】在鞍山
AOther; (handwritten) because [partly illegible] in Anshan.
问带我回到您决定走/决定留/决定回来的那个时刻:当时在想什么?是什么让您拍板?
QTake me back to the moment you decided to leave/stay/return: what were you thinking, what settled it?
答长三角经济发达
AThe Yangtze River Delta economy is developed.
问如果您离开了:当时去了哪类地方?
QIf you left, what kind of place did you go to?
答沿海/南方城市
AA coastal / southern city.
问落脚在哪类行业?
QWhat kind of industry did you settle into?
答教育
AEducation.
问现在比在鞍山,过得怎样?
QCompared with being in Anshan, how do you live now?
答更好
ABetter.
问这次离开是?
QThis departure was?
答长期定居
ALong-term settlement.
问您身边同龄人,离开的多还是留下的多?
QAmong your peers, did more leave or more stay?
答离开多
AMore left.
问您觉得年轻人离开鞍山,最主要因为什么?
QWhy do you think young people leave Anshan, mainly?
答收入;(手写)鞍山收入低【难辨】
AIncome; (handwritten) incomes in Anshan are low [partly illegible].
问您想过以后回鞍山长期生活吗?
QHave you thought about returning to Anshan for the long term?
答没想过
ANever thought about it.
问要让更多年轻人愿意留/回鞍山,您觉得最重要的是什么?
QTo make more young people willing to stay in / return to Anshan, what is most important?
答(手写)鞍山工作机会太少【难辨】
A(handwritten) Anshan has too few job opportunities [partly illegible].
问父母那一代从鞍钢/单位生活中,传给您最多的是什么?
QWhat did your parents' generation pass on to you most from Angang / work-unit life?
答吃苦耐劳;(手写)父母在工作中不怕苦不怕累
AEndurance of hardship; (handwritten) my parents feared neither hardship nor exhaustion at work.
问父母教过您具体的工作技术吗?
QDid your parents teach you specific work skills?
答基本没讲
AThey basically didn't talk about it.
问若讲过,通常是哪类?
QIf they did, usually what kind?
答(手写)父母基本没有讲过【难辨】
A(handwritten) My parents basically never talked about it [partly illegible].
问父母的工作经历,对您的职业选择有影响吗?
QDid your parents' work experience influence your career choice?
答基本没有
ABasically none.
问更接近哪一种?
QWhich is closer to you?
答想找稳定工作;其他;(手写)父母就希望我当老师
AWanting a stable job; other; (handwritten) my parents just hoped I'd become a teacher.
问您有没有因为父母的经历,刻意避开或刻意选择某个职业/行业?讲讲。
QDid you deliberately avoid or choose a profession/industry because of your parents' experience? Tell me.
答没有;(手写)没有
ANo; (handwritten) no.
问父母那一代最希望您得到什么?
QWhat did your parents' generation most hope you would get?
答更高收入;(手写)父母希望我过更好的生活
AHigher income; (handwritten) my parents hoped I'd live a better life.
问您升学/找工作/离开或回鞍山时,父母的老同事或单位关系帮过忙吗?
QWhen you advanced in schooling / found work / left or returned to Anshan, did your parents' old colleagues or work-unit ties help?
答基本没有
ABasically none.
问若帮过,主要哪方面?
QIf they helped, mainly in what way?
答(手写)我不用父母的同事帮助找工作
A(handwritten) I didn't rely on my parents' colleagues to help me find work.
问家里现在还和父母以前的同事、邻居、师傅、徒弟联系吗?
QDoes your family still keep in touch with your parents' former colleagues, neighbors, masters, apprentices?
答很少
ARarely.
问您觉得这种老单位关系,对子女这一代还有影响吗?
QDo you think these old work-unit ties still affect the children's generation?
答基本没有
ABasically none.
问以前的单位社区,和现在的普通城市社区有什么不同?
QHow did the old work-unit community differ from today's ordinary urban community?
答以前社区没有物业管理,现在管理也很好
AThe old community had no property management; now management is also very good.
问听到「鞍钢」「钢城」,您第一反应是什么?
QHearing 'Angang' / 'Steel City', what is your first reaction?
答骄傲;(手写)我感到很【难辨】(荣华/繁荣)
APride; (handwritten) I feel very [illegible] (prosperous/glorious).
问您去过鞍钢博物馆、孟泰纪念馆或类似场所吗?
QHave you visited the Angang Museum, the Meng Tai Memorial, or similar places?
答去过
AYes, I have been.
问这些地方对年轻人有用吗?
QAre these places useful for young people?
答很有用
AVery useful.
问您觉得哪些记忆最容易消失?
QWhich memories do you think are most likely to disappear?
答其他;(手写)老邻里关系
AOther; (handwritten) old neighborly relationships.
问若做一个「鞍山老工业记忆」资料库,您觉得最该保存什么?
QIf a 'Anshan old-industry memory' archive were made, what should most be preserved?
答老照片和物件;(手写)老照片、老物件
AOld photos and objects; (handwritten) old photos, old objects.
问您家是否保存过和鞍钢/单位有关的物件?
QHas your family kept any objects related to Angang / the work unit?
答老照片
AOld photos.
问如果您愿意分享其中一两件,可以填写《照片/物件登记卡》。
QIf you'd share one or two, you may fill the photo/object registration card.
答(手写)我问妈妈有工作证
A(handwritten) I asked my mom; she has a work ID.
问您会给孩子或晚辈讲鞍钢/鞍山的故事吗?
QDo you tell your children or juniors stories of Angang / Anshan?
答很少
ARarely.
问讲这些时,您更想传达什么?
QWhen telling these, what do you most want to convey?
答父母那代的不容易;(手写)父母那代人家庭生活都很苦
AHow hard it was for the parents' generation; (handwritten) family life for the parents' generation was all very hard.
问您希望下一代以后留在鞍山吗?
QDo you hope the next generation stays in Anshan?
答不希望
ANo.
问您希望下一代进入制造/工程/钢铁/能源相关行业吗?
QDo you hope the next generation enters manufacturing/engineering/steel/energy fields?
答看他们兴趣
AIt depends on their interest.
问「稳定工作」在您这一代和父母那一代之间,含义变了吗?
QHas the meaning of 'a stable job' changed between your generation and your parents'?
答没太大;(手写)我感觉变化不太大
ANot much; (handwritten) I feel it hasn't changed much.
问「离开家乡」在您这代人眼里是?
QIn your generation's eyes, what is 'leaving one's hometown'?
答其他;(手写)我们眼里是普通选择
AOther; (handwritten) in our eyes it's an ordinary choice.
问用一个词形容父母那代和鞍钢的关系,您会用哪个?为什么?
QOne word for your parents' generation's relationship with Angang, and why?
答(手写)父辈的关系,因为我之所以能成长是靠父辈的肩膀【难辨】
A(handwritten) 'A father's relationship,' because I could grow up only by standing on my elders' shoulders [partly illegible].
问用一个词形容您自己和鞍山的关系,您会用哪个?为什么?
QOne word for your own relationship with Anshan, and why?
答鞍山是我的家乡,我出生在鞍山,长在鞍山
AAnshan is my hometown; I was born in Anshan and raised in Anshan.
问您觉得外地人或年轻人最容易误解鞍山什么?
QWhat do you think outsiders or young people most easily misunderstand about Anshan?
答最容易误解鞍山就是鞍钢
AThey most easily misunderstand that Anshan is just Angang (the steelworks).
问您觉得我们这代人做研究时,应该怎样更尊重地理解您父母那一代?
QHow should our generation, doing research, more respectfully understand your parents' generation?
答不容易
AIt's not easy.
问有没有哪个问题您希望我不要记录、不要引用,或引用前必须再问您?
QAny question you'd want me not to record/quote, or to ask again before quoting?
答不确定
ANot sure.
问整理好后,您想先看一遍再决定是否公开吗?
QAfter it's compiled, do you want to review it before deciding on publication?
答不用
ANo need.
问以后若需要补充访谈,您是否愿意通过介绍人再联系?
QFor a follow-up interview later, would you be willing to be re-contacted through the introducer?
答不用了
ANo, that's not necessary.
问您是否愿意日后接受一次更深入的访谈?如果您的父母长辈方便,是否也愿意引荐他们一起参与?
QWould you accept a deeper interview later, and, if convenient, introduce your parents/elders to join?
答再说
AWe'll see.
Significance to the comparison
The Anshan side of the comparison, in a first-person voice: how the danwei (work-unit) organized a whole life, what the 1990s restructuring did to it, and whether the next generation stayed or left. It is the lived-memory counterpart to the paper's question about what lets an industrial community absorb a transition.
Provenance
- Field collection
- Paper questionnaire (子女·晚辈版) completed voluntarily in Anshan, 2026; photographed page by page; transcribed and de-identified for the archive. Original held privately.
Evidence media
- Completed paper questionnaire, 27 photographed pages; 63 question-and-answer exchanges transcribed verbatim (original held privately).
Sources two independent sources, each resolving
- Anshan field collection questionnaire response, 2026 (original held privately).
- Steel & Oil archive field instrument (子女·晚辈版), 2026.
Tim Qiao, ed., “A 1980s-Born Educator's Family Memory of Angang and Return to Anshan,” Steel & Oil: Anshan–Houston Industrial Memory Archive, OHS-AS-111, version 0.2 (field-collected, Anshan, 2026). Citation formats and the stable-identifier scheme →