Steel & Oil INDUSTRIAL MEMORY ARCHIVE
Catalog / Oral Histories
OHS-AS-110
Real material from the Anshan field collection (2026), shared voluntarily and de-identified per the archive’s consent and redaction rules.
OHS-AS-110 Oral History Anshan, Liaoning

Anshan Family & City Memory Oral History — Case 11 (child of an Ansteel worker, stayed in Anshan)

鞍山家庭与城市记忆访谈·案例11(鞍钢职工子女·留守鞍山)
Response collected 2026

Description

A 1980s-born descendant of an Ansteel worker family who grew up in central Anshan and still lives there, now retired or not currently working. Elders only occasionally spoke of the work unit, mostly with a sense of stability, and the unit's main imprint on the household was family income; the respondent remembers it feeling like a 'big family.' They left Anshan only to attend university and returned to care for their parents, and describe leaving one's hometown as a form of success. They report little direct influence of their parents' work life on their own career choices, say their parents most wanted them to have a stable income to support a family, and note the most easily lost memories are concrete technical skills, arguing an archive should above all preserve old photos and objects. The family kept certificates/awards but none were submitted. Asked what outsiders most misunderstand about Anshan, they answered simply that its 'room for development is too small.'

世代 / generation: descendant (born 1980s) · 身份 / role or relationship: Child/younger-generation family member of an Ansteel (鞍钢) worker; grew up and still lives in Anshan. · 提及的物件与场所 / objects and places recalled: 奖状/证书 (certificates/awards kept at home, not submitted)

In their own words selected highlights, verbatim, de-identified

让我自己选。
因上大学,离开鞍山……为照顾父母回来。
耐心聆听父辈岁月,传承踏实坚韧风骨,理解与尊重。

Full interview parallel text

The complete question-and-answer record, in the order the respondent answered it (55 exchanges). The Chinese is the respondent’s own wording, transcribed from the photographed pages; illegible passages are marked 【难辨】 / [illegible] rather than guessed. The English is a working translation by the editor, not part of the source.

Left column: respondent’s Chinese, as written · Right column: editor’s working translation

您大概是哪一代人?

QRoughly which generation are you?

1980年代

A1980s

您和鞍钢/相关单位的关系?

QYour relationship to Ansteel / a related work unit?

父/母曾在

AA parent worked there

您小时候主要在哪里成长?

QWhere did you mainly grow up?

鞍山市区

ACentral Anshan city

您现在大概生活在哪里?

QWhere do you live now?

仍在鞍山

AStill in Anshan

您现在从事哪一类工作/学习?

QWhat kind of work/study are you in now?

退休/暂不工作

ARetired / not currently working

您对九十年代那段变化的记忆,主要来自?

QYour memory of the 1990s changes mainly comes from?

我自己亲身经历过

AI experienced it firsthand

小时候,家里长辈常提鞍钢/单位吗?

QAs a child, did elders often mention Ansteel / the work unit?

偶尔

AOccasionally

先用您自己的词:长辈提到单位时是什么感觉?

QIn your own words: what feeling did elders convey when they mentioned the work unit?

稳定;长辈总说起他那一代人和睦、齐心协力、勤劳。

AStable; elders always spoke of their generation as harmonious, united in effort, and hardworking. [handwriting partly faint]

(单位对家庭生活影响)主要体现在哪些方面?

QIn what areas did the work unit mainly affect family life?

家庭收入

AHousehold income

小时候您觉得父母的单位更像什么?

QAs a child, what did your parents' work unit feel more like?

大家庭;我小时候的生活费用,全是父母那辈挣的收入。

AA big family; when I was small our whole cost of living came from what my parents' generation earned.

有没有一个具体的小事,让您小时候感到「单位」就在你们家生活里?

QAny small concrete episode that made you feel the 'work unit' was part of your family's daily life?

经常去公家澡堂看电影。

AWe often went to the public/company bathhouse and to watch films.

那段时间,您家有没有明显变化?

QDuring that period, did your family see obvious changes?

一些

ASome

主要是哪些方面?

QMainly in what areas?

其他;记不清,是小时候的事。

AOther; can't recall clearly, it was when I was little.

长辈当时的工作状态?

QYour elders' work status at that time?

留原岗

AKept their original post

家里会讨论「以后孩子要不要留在鞍山」吗?

QDid the family discuss whether the children should stay in Anshan?

不记得

ADon't remember

如果讨论过,长辈是什么态度?先选,再讲一件具体的事或一句他们说过的话。

QIf discussed, what was the elders' attitude? Choose, then give a specific thing or something they said.

尊重我自己选;让我自己选。

ARespect my own choice; they let me choose for myself.

您是否曾离开鞍山学习/工作/生活?

QHave you ever left Anshan to study/work/live?

没有,一直在鞍山

ANo, always in Anshan

若离开,大概在什么时候?

QIf you left, roughly when?

上学

AFor schooling

离开鞍山的主要原因?

QMain reason for leaving Anshan?

上学;因上大学,离开鞍山。

ASchooling; I left Anshan to attend university.

若您留在/回到鞍山,主要原因?

QIf you stayed in / returned to Anshan, the main reason?

照顾父母;大学毕业后回来的。

ATo care for my parents; I came back after graduating from university.

带我回到您决定走/决定留/决定回来的那个时刻:当时在想什么?是什么让您拍板?

QTake me back to the moment you decided to go / stay / return: what were you thinking, what settled it?

为照顾父母回来。

AI came back to look after my parents.

落脚在哪类行业?(大概即可)

QWhat kind of industry did you land in? (roughly)

没有离开过鞍山。

ANever left Anshan.

现在比在鞍山,过得怎样?

QCompared with being in Anshan, how are you doing now?

不好说

AHard to say

这次离开是?

QThis leaving was?

暂时

ATemporary

您身边同龄人,离开的多还是留下的多?

QAmong your peers, did more leave or stay?

差不多

AAbout the same

您觉得年轻人离开鞍山,最主要因为什么?

QWhy do you think young people mainly leave Anshan?

城市发展空间;就业机会多。

AThe city's room for development; more employment opportunities [elsewhere].

您想过以后回鞍山长期生活吗?

QHave you thought about living long-term in Anshan later?

没想过

AHaven't thought about it

要让更多年轻人愿意留/回鞍山,您觉得最重要的是什么?

QWhat matters most to make more young people willing to stay in / return to Anshan?

工作机会、家乡认同感;因为家在鞍山。

AJob opportunities and a sense of hometown belonging; because home is in Anshan.

父母那一代从鞍钢/单位生活中,传给您最多的是什么?

QWhat did your parents' generation pass down to you most from Ansteel / work-unit life?

重视技术;父母总告诉我要遵纪守法,把善行体现在生活当中。

AValuing skill/technique; my parents always told me to abide by rules and law and to show good conduct in daily life. [handwriting partly faint]

父母教过您具体的工作技术吗?

QDid your parents teach you specific work skills/techniques?

我听不懂没学到

AI didn't understand and didn't learn them

若讲过,通常是哪类(不必讲参数或内部流程)?

QIf they did, usually what kind (no parameters or internal processes needed)?

工厂纪律;工作中必须遵守劳动纪律,与人相处也要守规章制度。

AFactory discipline; at work you must obey labor discipline, and in dealing with others follow the rules. [handwriting partly faint]

父母的工作经历,对您的职业选择有影响吗?

QDid your parents' work experience influence your career choice?

基本没有

ABasically none

更接近哪一种?

QWhich is closest to you?

想找稳定工作

AWanted to find a stable job

您有没有因为父母的经历,刻意避开或刻意选择某个职业/行业?

QBecause of your parents' experience, did you deliberately avoid or choose a certain job/industry?

没有

ANo

父母那一代最希望您得到什么?

QWhat did your parents' generation most want you to obtain?

稳定;有一份稳定的收入、能养家更重要。

AStability; having a stable income to support a family matters more. [handwriting partly faint]

您觉得这种老单位关系,对子女这一代还有影响吗?

QDo you think these old work-unit ties still affect the children's generation?

基本没有

ABasically none

以前的单位社区,和现在的普通城市社区有什么不同?(邻里、互助、熟人社会、孩子成长环境…)

QHow did the old work-unit community differ from today's ordinary urban community (neighbors, mutual aid, acquaintance society, environment for raising children)?

基本相同。

ABasically the same.

听到「鞍钢」「钢城」,您第一反应是什么?

QHearing 'Ansteel' / 'Steel City,' what's your first reaction?

距离感

AA sense of distance

您去过鞍钢博物馆、孟泰纪念馆或类似场所吗?

QHave you visited the Ansteel Museum, the Meng Tai Memorial, or similar places?

去过

AYes, been there

这些地方对年轻人有用吗?

QAre these places useful for young people?

主要是纪念意义

AMainly of commemorative significance

您觉得哪些记忆最容易消失?

QWhich memories do you think are most easily lost?

具体技术经验

AConcrete technical experience/skills

若做一个「鞍山老工业记忆」资料库,您觉得最该保存什么?

QFor an 'Anshan old-industry memory' archive, what should most be preserved?

老照片和物件

AOld photos and objects

您家是否保存过和鞍钢/单位有关的物件?(可多选)

QHas your family kept objects related to Ansteel / the work unit? (multiple choice)

奖状/证书

ACertificates / awards

您会给孩子或晚辈讲鞍钢/鞍山的故事吗?

QDo you tell children or younger relatives stories of Ansteel / Anshan?

基本不

ABasically not

讲这些时,您更想传达什么?

QWhen telling these, what do you most want to convey?

父母那代的不容易

AHow hard things were for the parents' generation

您希望下一代以后留在鞍山吗?

QDo you hope the next generation stays in Anshan?

希望

AYes, hope so

您希望下一代进入制造/工程/钢铁/能源相关行业吗?

QDo you hope the next generation enters manufacturing/engineering/steel/energy fields?

看他们兴趣

ADepends on their interest

「稳定工作」在您这一代和父母那一代之间,含义变了吗?

QHas the meaning of 'a stable job' changed between your generation and your parents'?

不好说

AHard to say

「离开家乡」在您这代人眼里是?

QIn your generation's eyes, 'leaving one's hometown' is?

成功

ASuccess

您觉得外地人或年轻人最容易误解鞍山什么?

QWhat do outsiders or young people most easily misunderstand about Anshan?

发展空间太小。

AThat its room for development is too small.

您觉得我们这代人做研究时,应该怎样更尊重地理解您父母那一代?

QHow should our generation, doing research, more respectfully understand your parents' generation?

耐心聆听父辈岁月,传承踏实坚韧风骨,理解与尊重。

APatiently listen to the elders' years, carry on their steadfast and resilient spirit, with understanding and respect.

有没有哪个问题您希望我不要记录、不要引用,或引用前必须再问您?

QAny question you'd want me not to record/quote, or to re-ask before quoting?

不确定

ANot sure

整理好后,您想先看一遍再决定是否公开吗?

QAfter it's compiled, do you want to review it before deciding on publication?

不用

ANo need

以后若需要补充访谈,您是否愿意通过介绍人再联系?

QFor a follow-up interview later, would you be willing to be re-contacted via the introducer?

不用了

ANo, that's alright

您是否愿意日后接受一次更深入的访谈?如果您的父母长辈方便,是否也愿意引荐他们一起参与?

QWould you be willing to give a deeper interview later, and if convenient introduce your parents/elders to join?

再说

AWe'll see

Significance to the comparison

The Anshan side of the comparison, in a first-person voice: how the danwei (work-unit) organized a whole life, what the 1990s restructuring did to it, and whether the next generation stayed or left. It is the lived-memory counterpart to the paper's question about what lets an industrial community absorb a transition.

Provenance

Field collection
Paper questionnaire (子女·晚辈版) completed voluntarily in Anshan, 2026; photographed page by page; transcribed and de-identified for the archive. Original held privately.

Evidence media

  • Completed paper questionnaire, 23 photographed pages; 55 question-and-answer exchanges transcribed verbatim (original held privately).

Sources two independent sources, each resolving

  1. Anshan field collection questionnaire response, 2026 (original held privately).
  2. Steel & Oil archive field instrument (子女·晚辈版), 2026.
Cite this record

Tim Qiao, ed., “Anshan Family & City Memory Oral History — Case 11 (child of an Ansteel worker, stayed in Anshan),” Steel & Oil: Anshan–Houston Industrial Memory Archive, OHS-AS-110, version 0.2 (field-collected, Anshan, 2026). Citation formats and the stable-identifier scheme →