Steel & Oil INDUSTRIAL MEMORY ARCHIVE
Catalog / Oral Histories
OHS-AS-108
Real material from the Anshan field collection (2026), shared voluntarily and de-identified per the archive’s consent and redaction rules.
OHS-AS-108 Oral History Anshan, Liaoning

Anshan Family & City Memory Interview — Descendant Edition (Case 09)

鞍山家庭与城市记忆访谈问卷 · 子女/晚辈版
Response collected 2026

Description

A respondent born in the 1980s whose parents and grandparents worked at Angang (Anshan Iron & Steel) and who grew up near an Angang residential community. They still live in downtown Anshan and work in a manufacturing/engineering/technical field. Their memories of the 1990s restructuring are secondhand, heard from elders, and their family saw 'not much' change in that period (long marked 'already retired'). The work unit shaped family life mainly through housing, medical care, and retirement benefits, and as a child it felt like a form of 'security' and simply the natural order — the hospital was the workers' hospital, the canteen the workers' canteen, factory anniversaries a shared celebration. What their parents' generation passed down most was a valuing of stability and heightened sensitivity to risk; the parents most wanted them to have stability, dignity, and a life that isn't so hard. The respondent stayed in Anshan mainly for a stable job. On hearing 'Angang / Steel City' their first reaction is pride, and they think a resource archive should above all preserve the spatial memory of the old factory districts. Note: Q18 marks 'never left Anshan' while the conditional Q19/Q20 (if you left...) are also checked ('when going to university' / 'schooling'), a minor internal inconsistency transcribed as marked.

世代 / generation: 1980s (child/descendant of Angang steelworker family) · 身份 / role or relationship: descendant

In their own words selected highlights, verbatim, de-identified

感觉就应该是那样。医院是职工医院,食堂是职工食堂,厂庆也是大家一起高兴。
以前大部分的邻居是一个单位的,邻里间很熟悉;现在的社区独立性强,邻里间也不是一个单位的职工,所以邻里间都不是很熟。
有个稳定的工作。

Full interview parallel text

The complete question-and-answer record, in the order the respondent answered it (50 exchanges). The Chinese is the respondent’s own wording, transcribed from the photographed pages; illegible passages are marked 【难辨】 / [illegible] rather than guessed. The English is a working translation by the editor, not part of the source.

Left column: respondent’s Chinese, as written · Right column: editor’s working translation

您大概是哪一代人?

QRoughly which generation are you?

1980年代

AThe 1980s

您和鞍钢/相关单位的关系?

QWhat is your relationship to Angang (Anshan Iron & Steel) or a related work unit?

父/母曾在;祖父母曾在;从小住鞍钢社区附近

AParent(s) worked there; grandparents worked there; grew up living near an Angang community

您小时候主要在哪里成长?

QWhere did you mainly grow up?

鞍山市区

ADowntown Anshan

您现在大概生活在哪里?

QWhere do you live now, roughly?

仍在鞍山

AStill in Anshan

您现在从事哪一类工作/学习?

QWhat kind of work or study are you in now?

制造/工程/技术

AManufacturing / engineering / technical work

您对九十年代那段变化的记忆,主要来自?

QYour memories of the 1990s changes mainly come from?

我当时年纪小,主要是听家里长辈讲的

AI was young at the time; mostly I heard about it from elders in the family

小时候,家里长辈常提鞍钢/单位吗?

QAs a child, did elders often talk about Angang or the work unit?

经常

AOften

先用您自己的词:长辈提到单位时是什么感觉?

QIn your own word first: what feeling did elders convey when they mentioned the work unit?

稳定

AStability

鞍钢/单位对家庭生活影响大吗?

QDid Angang / the work unit have a big influence on family life?

很大

AVery big

主要体现在哪些方面?

QMainly in which aspects?

住房;医疗;退休福利

AHousing; medical care; retirement benefits

小时候您觉得父母的单位更像什么?

QAs a child, what did your parents' work unit feel most like?

保障

AA form of security

有没有一个具体的小事,让您小时候感到「单位」就在你们家生活里?

QWas there a specific small thing that made you feel, as a child, that the 'work unit' was part of your family's life?

感觉就应该是那样。医院是职工医院,食堂是职工食堂,厂庆也是大家一起高兴。

AIt felt like that's just how things should be. The hospital was the workers' hospital, the canteen was the workers' canteen, and the factory anniversary was everyone celebrating together.

那段时间,您家有没有明显变化?

QDuring that period, did your family see any obvious changes?

没太大

ANot much

主要是哪些方面?

QMainly in which aspects?

教育/升学选择

AEducation / schooling choices

长辈当时的工作状态?

QWhat was the elders' work status at that time?

已退休

AAlready retired

家里会讨论「以后孩子要不要留在鞍山」吗?

QDid the family discuss 'whether the children should stay in Anshan later on'?

很少

ARarely

如果讨论过,长辈是什么态度?

QIf it was discussed, what was the elders' attitude?

尊重我自己选

ARespect my own choice

您是否曾离开鞍山学习/工作/生活?

QHave you ever left Anshan to study / work / live?

没有,一直在鞍山

ANo, always in Anshan

若离开,大概在什么时候?

QIf you left, roughly when?

上大学

AWhen going to university

离开鞍山的主要原因?

QMain reason for leaving Anshan?

上学

ASchooling / education

若您留在/回到鞍山,主要原因?

QIf you stayed in / returned to Anshan, the main reason?

有稳定工作

AHaving a stable job

带我回到您决定走/决定留/决定回来的那个时刻:当时在想什么?是什么让您拍板?

QTake me back to the moment you decided to go / stay / return: what were you thinking? What made you commit?

有个稳定的工作。

AHaving a stable job.

落脚在哪类行业?(大概即可)

QWhat kind of industry did you settle into? (rough is fine)

技术方面

ASomething in the technical field

现在比在鞍山,过得怎样?

QCompared with being in Anshan, how are things now?

不好说

AHard to say

您身边同龄人,离开的多还是留下的多?

QAmong your peers, did more leave or more stay?

不清楚

ANot sure

您觉得年轻人离开鞍山,最主要因为什么?

QWhy do you think young people mainly leave Anshan?

其他

AOther

要让更多年轻人愿意留/回鞍山,您觉得最重要的是什么?

QTo make more young people willing to stay in / return to Anshan, what do you think matters most?

适合年轻人的城市生活

ACity life suited to young people

父母那一代从鞍钢/单位生活中,传给您最多的是什么?

QFrom their Angang / work-unit life, what did your parents' generation pass down to you most?

重视稳定;对风险更敏感

AValuing stability; being more sensitive to risk

父母教过您具体的工作技术吗?

QDid your parents teach you specific work skills?

教过一些

ATaught me some

若讲过,通常是哪类(不必讲参数或内部流程)?

QIf they did, usually what kind (no need for parameters or internal procedures)?

安全经验

ASafety experience

父母的工作经历,对您的职业选择有影响吗?

QDid your parents' work experience influence your own career choice?

一些

ASome

更接近哪一种?

QWhich is closer to you?

想找稳定工作

AWanting to find a stable job

您有没有因为父母的经历,刻意避开或刻意选择某个职业/行业?

QBecause of your parents' experience, did you deliberately avoid or choose a certain profession/industry?

没有

ANo

父母那一代最希望您得到什么?

QWhat did your parents' generation most hope you would get?

稳定;体面;不那么辛苦

AStability; respectability/dignity; a life that isn't so hard

您升学/找工作/离开或回鞍山时,父母的老同事或单位关系帮过忙吗?

QWhen you advanced in school / job-hunted / left or returned to Anshan, did your parents' old colleagues or work-unit connections help?

基本没有

ABasically no

家里现在还和父母以前的同事、邻居、师傅、徒弟联系吗?

QDoes the family still keep in touch with parents' former colleagues, neighbors, masters, apprentices?

经常

AOften

您觉得这种老单位关系,对子女这一代还有影响吗?

QDo you think these old work-unit ties still influence the children's generation?

仍有

AStill do

以前的单位社区,和现在的普通城市社区有什么不同?(邻里、互助、熟人社会、孩子成长环境…)

QHow was the old work-unit community different from an ordinary city community today? (neighbors, mutual aid, acquaintance society, environment for raising children...)

以前大部分的邻居是一个单位的,邻里间很熟悉;现在的社区独立性强,邻里间也不是一个单位的职工,所以邻里间都不是很熟。

AIn the past most neighbors were from the same work unit and knew each other very well; now communities are more independent, neighbors are no longer from the same work unit, so neighbors aren't very close.

听到「鞍钢」「钢城」,您第一反应是什么?

QOn hearing 'Angang' / 'Steel City', what is your first reaction?

骄傲

APride

您去过鞍钢博物馆、孟泰纪念馆或类似场所吗?

QHave you been to the Angang Museum, Meng Tai Memorial Hall, or similar places?

去过

AHave been

这些地方对年轻人有用吗?

QAre these places useful for young people?

主要是纪念意义

AMainly commemorative significance

您觉得哪些记忆最容易消失?

QWhich memories do you think most easily disappear?

其他

AOther

若做一个「鞍山老工业记忆」资料库,您觉得最该保存什么?

QIf an 'Anshan old-industry memory' archive were built, what do you think most needs preserving?

老厂区空间记忆

ASpatial memory of the old factory districts

您家是否保存过和鞍钢/单位有关的物件?(可多选)

QHas your family kept objects related to Angang / the work unit? (multiple choice)

不方便说

APrefer not to say

您会给孩子或晚辈讲鞍钢/鞍山的故事吗?

QDo you tell your children or juniors stories about Angang / Anshan?

偶尔

AOccasionally

讲这些时,您更想传达什么?

QWhen telling these, what do you most want to convey?

城市历史

AThe city's history

您希望下一代以后留在鞍山吗?

QDo you hope the next generation stays in Anshan?

看他们自己

AUp to them

您希望下一代进入制造/工程/钢铁/能源相关行业吗?

QDo you hope the next generation enters manufacturing / engineering / steel / energy-related industries?

看他们兴趣

ADepends on their interests

「稳定工作」在您这一代和父母那一代之间,含义变了吗?

QHas the meaning of 'a stable job' changed between your generation and your parents'?

一些

ASomewhat

「离开家乡」在您这代人眼里是?

QIn your generation's eyes, 'leaving one's hometown' is?

普通选择

AAn ordinary choice

Significance to the comparison

The Anshan side of the comparison, in a first-person voice: how the danwei (work-unit) organized a whole life, what the 1990s restructuring did to it, and whether the next generation stayed or left. It is the lived-memory counterpart to the paper's question about what lets an industrial community absorb a transition.

Provenance

Field collection
Paper questionnaire (子女·晚辈版) completed voluntarily in Anshan, 2026; photographed page by page; transcribed and de-identified for the archive. Original held privately.

Evidence media

  • Completed paper questionnaire, 22 photographed pages; 50 question-and-answer exchanges transcribed verbatim (original held privately).

Sources two independent sources, each resolving

  1. Anshan field collection questionnaire response, 2026 (original held privately).
  2. Steel & Oil archive field instrument (子女·晚辈版), 2026.
Cite this record

Tim Qiao, ed., “Anshan Family & City Memory Interview — Descendant Edition (Case 09),” Steel & Oil: Anshan–Houston Industrial Memory Archive, OHS-AS-108, version 0.2 (field-collected, Anshan, 2026). Citation formats and the stable-identifier scheme →