A 1980s child of an Angang steel family who left for university, went into education, and sees more opportunity outside Anshan
Description
This respondent is from the 1980s generation, a child of an Angang steel family: their parents and grandparents worked at Angang, and they grew up in downtown Anshan near the company's residential community. Their unit-era memories are warm and proud, hearing 'Angang' brings pride and happiness, and a childhood image of going to their father's canteen for delicious steamed buns, yet they also say the older generation's life was very hard. They left Anshan for university and built a career in education, feel life is better outside, and view Anshan as offering fewer jobs and lower incomes. They emphasize having made their own free choices rather than following their parents' industrial path, and say old work-unit ties have basically no effect on their own generation. Looking ahead, they hope the next generation follows its own interests instead of staying in Anshan or entering heavy industry.
世代 / generation: 1980年代 · 身份 / role or relationship: 鞍钢职工家庭的子女(晚辈),父母与祖父母曾在鞍钢,自幼住鞍钢家属社区附近;现从事教育/科研 · 提及的物件与场所 / objects and places recalled: 食堂;馒头;鞍钢家属社区;鞍钢博物馆;孟泰纪念馆
In their own words selected highlights, verbatim, de-identified
经常去父亲的食堂吃馒头很香。
老一代人生活都很苦。
鞍山的工作和机会少一些。
Full interview parallel text
The complete question-and-answer record, in the order the respondent answered it (54 exchanges). The Chinese is the respondent’s own wording, transcribed from the photographed pages; illegible passages are marked 【难辨】 / [illegible] rather than guessed. The English is a working translation by the editor, not part of the source.
Left column: respondent’s Chinese, as written · Right column: editor’s working translation
问您大概是哪一代人?
QWhich generation are you roughly from?
答1980年代
AThe 1980s
问您和鞍钢/相关单位的关系?
QWhat is your relationship to Angang / a related work unit?
答父/母曾在;祖父母曾在;从小住鞍钢社区附近
AParent(s) worked there; grandparents worked there; grew up near an Angang community
问您小时候主要在哪里成长?
QWhere did you mainly grow up?
答鞍山市区
ADowntown Anshan
问您现在大概生活在哪里?
QWhere do you roughly live now?
答仍在鞍山
AStill in Anshan
问您现在从事哪一类工作/学习?
QWhat kind of work/study are you in now?
答教育/科研
AEducation / research
问您对九十年代那段变化的记忆,主要来自?
QYour memory of the 1990s changes mainly comes from?
答我当时年纪小,主要是听家里长辈讲的
AI was young then; mostly from what elders at home told me
问小时候,家里长辈常提鞍钢/单位吗?
QAs a child, did elders often mention Angang / the work unit?
答偶尔
AOccasionally
问先用您自己的词:长辈提到单位时是什么感觉?
QIn your own words: how did elders feel when mentioning the work unit?
答骄傲、和幸福
AProud, and happy
问鞍钢/单位对家庭生活影响大吗?
QDid Angang / the unit greatly affect family life?
答很大
AVery much
问主要体现在哪些方面?
QMainly in what respects?
答家庭收入;工资高,生活好
AHousehold income; wages were high, life was good
问小时候您觉得父母的单位更像什么?
QAs a child, what did your parents' work unit feel more like?
答保障
AA safety net / security
问有没有一个具体的小事,让您小时候感到「单位」就在你们家生活里?
QAny small concrete thing that made you feel the 'unit' was part of home life?
答经常去父亲的食堂吃馒头很香。
AI often went to my father's canteen; the steamed buns were delicious.
问那段时间,您家有没有明显变化?
QDuring that period, did your family change noticeably?
答没太大
ANot much
问主要是哪些方面?
QMainly in what respects?
答其他;小时候的事情记不住了
AOther; I can't remember things from childhood
问长辈当时的工作状态?
QElders' work status at that time?
答留原岗
AKept their original post
问家里会讨论「以后孩子要不要留在鞍山」吗?
QDid the family discuss whether the children should stay in Anshan?
答很少
ARarely
问如果讨论过,长辈是什么态度?
QIf it was discussed, what was the elders' attitude?
答尊重我自己选;尊重我自己的选择
ARespect my own choice; they respected my own choice
问您是否曾离开鞍山学习/工作/生活?
QHave you ever left Anshan to study/work/live?
答是,离开又回来了
AYes, left and came back
问若离开,大概在什么时候?
QIf you left, roughly when?
答上大学
AFor university
问离开鞍山的主要原因?
QMain reason for leaving Anshan?
答上学;一线城市混。
ASchooling; to make a life in a first-tier city.
问若您留在/回到鞍山,主要原因?
QIf you stayed in / returned to Anshan, the main reason?
答其他;不在鞍山混。
AOther; not building a career in Anshan.
问带我回到您决定走/决定留/决定回来的那个时刻:当时在想什么?是什么让您拍板?
QTake me back to the moment you decided to go/stay/return: what were you thinking, and what made you decide?
答东北经济不好混。
AIt's hard to get by in the northeast economy.
问如果您离开了:当时去了哪类地方?
QIf you left, what kind of place did you go to?
答沿海/南方城市
AA coastal / southern city
问落脚在哪类行业?
QWhat kind of industry did you settle into?
答教育
AEducation
问现在比在鞍山,过得怎样?
QCompared with life in Anshan, how are you doing now?
答更好
ABetter
问这次离开是?
QThis leaving was?
答长期定居
ALong-term settling
问您身边同龄人,离开的多还是留下的多?
QAmong your peers, did more leave or stay?
答离开多
AMore left
问您觉得年轻人离开鞍山,最主要因为什么?
QWhy do young people leave Anshan, mainly?
答收入;鞍山收入低
AIncome; wages in Anshan are low
问您想过以后回鞍山长期生活吗?
QHave you thought of returning to live in Anshan long-term?
答想过,可能性不大
AThought about it, but unlikely
问要让更多年轻人愿意留/回鞍山,您觉得最重要的是什么?
QWhat matters most to make more young people willing to stay in / return to Anshan?
答鞍山的工作和机会少一些。
AAnshan has somewhat fewer jobs and opportunities.
问父母那一代从鞍钢/单位生活中,传给您最多的是什么?
QWhat did your parents' generation pass on to you most from Angang / unit life?
答吃苦耐劳;吃苦耐劳
AEndurance and hard work; endurance and hard work
问父母教过您具体的工作技术吗?
QDid your parents teach you specific work skills?
答我听不懂没学到
AI didn't understand and didn't learn them
问若讲过,通常是哪类(不必讲参数或内部流程)?
QIf they did tell you, usually what kind (no need for parameters or internal process)?
答只讲述累的活。
AThey only talked about the tiring work.
问父母的工作经历,对您的职业选择有影响吗?
QDid your parents' work experience affect your career choice?
答基本没有
ABasically none
问更接近哪一种?
QWhich is closer to you?
答想找稳定工作;从事教育工作。
AWanted a stable job; I work in education.
问您有没有因为父母的经历,刻意避开或刻意选择某个职业/行业?讲讲。
QDid your parents' experience make you deliberately avoid or choose a career/industry? Tell me.
答没有;没有
ANo; no
问父母那一代最希望您得到什么?
QWhat did your parents' generation most hope you would get?
答更高收入;希望我过更好的生活
AHigher income; they hoped I would live a better life
问您升学/找工作/离开或回鞍山时,父母的老同事或单位关系帮过忙吗?
QWhen you went to school, found work, or moved, did your parents' old colleagues or unit ties help?
答基本没有
ABasically not
问若帮过,主要哪方面?
QIf they helped, mainly in what way?
答自己找工作。
AI found work on my own.
问家里现在还和父母以前的同事、邻居、师傅、徒弟联系吗?
QDoes the family still keep in touch with parents' old colleagues, neighbors, masters, or apprentices?
答很少
ARarely
问您觉得这种老单位关系,对子女这一代还有影响吗?
QDo you think these old work-unit ties still affect your generation?
答基本没有
ABasically none
问以前的单位社区,和现在的普通城市社区有什么不同?
QHow did the old unit community differ from an ordinary urban community today?
答以前的社区没有现在的物业管理好。
AOld communities didn't have property management as good as today's.
问听到「鞍钢」「钢城」,您第一反应是什么?
QHearing 'Angang' / 'Steel City,' what's your first reaction?
答骄傲;很幸福
APride; very happy
问您去过鞍钢博物馆、孟泰纪念馆或类似场所吗?
QHave you visited the Angang Museum, the Meng Tai Memorial, or similar places?
答去过
AYes, I've been
问这些地方对年轻人有用吗?
QAre these places useful for young people?
答很有用
AVery useful
问您会给孩子或晚辈讲鞍钢/鞍山的故事吗?
QDo you tell your children or juniors stories of Angang / Anshan?
答很少
ARarely
问讲这些时,您更想传达什么?
QWhen you tell them, what do you most want to convey?
答父母那代的不容易;老一代人生活都很苦。
AHow hard it was for the parents' generation; the older generation lived very hard lives.
问您希望下一代以后留在鞍山吗?
QDo you hope the next generation stays in Anshan?
答不希望
ANo
问您希望下一代进入制造/工程/钢铁/能源相关行业吗?
QDo you hope the next generation enters manufacturing / engineering / steel / energy?
答看他们兴趣
ADepends on their interests
问「稳定工作」在您这一代和父母那一代之间,含义变了吗?
QHas the meaning of a 'stable job' changed between your generation and your parents'?
答没太大;没有多大变化吧。
ANot much; not much change, I'd say.
问有没有哪个问题您希望我不要记录、不要引用,或引用前必须再问您?
QAny question you'd want me not to record or quote, or to re-ask before quoting?
答不确定
ANot sure
问整理好后,您想先看一遍再决定是否公开吗?
QOnce compiled, do you want to review it before deciding whether to make it public?
答不用
ANo need
问以后若需要补充访谈,您是否愿意通过介绍人再联系?
QFor a follow-up interview later, would you be willing to be re-contacted through the referrer?
答不用了
ANo need
问您是否愿意日后接受一次更深入的访谈?如果您的父母长辈方便,是否也愿意引荐他们一起参与?
QWould you accept a deeper interview later, and refer your parents/elders to join if convenient?
答愿意
AWilling
Significance to the comparison
The Anshan side of the comparison, in a first-person voice: how the danwei (work-unit) organized a whole life, what the 1990s restructuring did to it, and whether the next generation stayed or left. It is the lived-memory counterpart to the paper's question about what lets an industrial community absorb a transition.
Provenance
- Field collection
- Paper questionnaire (子女·晚辈版) completed voluntarily in Anshan, 2026; photographed page by page; transcribed and de-identified for the archive. Original held privately.
Evidence media
- Completed paper questionnaire, 21 photographed pages; 54 question-and-answer exchanges transcribed verbatim (original held privately).
Sources two independent sources, each resolving
- Anshan field collection questionnaire response, 2026 (original held privately).
- Steel & Oil archive field instrument (子女·晚辈版), 2026.
Tim Qiao, ed., “A 1980s child of an Angang steel family who left for university, went into education, and sees more opportunity outside Anshan,” Steel & Oil: Anshan–Houston Industrial Memory Archive, OHS-AS-104, version 0.2 (field-collected, Anshan, 2026). Citation formats and the stable-identifier scheme →