Steel & Oil INDUSTRIAL MEMORY ARCHIVE
Catalog / Oral Histories
OHS-AS-101
Real material from the Anshan field collection (2026), shared voluntarily and de-identified per the archive’s consent and redaction rules.
OHS-AS-101 Oral History Anshan, Liaoning

A child of the steel city who stayed in Anshan (1980s generation)

钢城子弟口述:留下来的一代(1980 年代生,化名)
Response collected July 2026

Description

This respondent is a member of the 1980s-born younger generation whose parent(s) worked at Angang (Anshan Iron & Steel); they grew up in central Anshan and still live there today, now working as a self-employed/freelance individual. They remember the work-unit deeply as a provider of housing and welfare ("the unit was our provider"), and describe their parents' generation as having spent a lifetime rooted in the steel city, treating the plant as home, working three shifts and enduring great hardship. They never left Anshan, attributing this to "not having the courage to go out and strive" and an unwillingness to face an unfamiliar environment, and view Anshan as now a declining fourth-tier city with limited room to grow. Reflective but reserved, they kept no family artifacts, declined most follow-up options, and asked that researchers understand their parents' generation with humility and respect.

世代 / generation: 1980年代 · 身份 / role at Angang: 父/母曾在 · 提及的物件与场所 / objects and places recalled: 受访者家中没有保存与鞍钢/单位有关的物件(Q48 勾选「没有」);在 Q47 中认为最该保存的是:普通工人的故事、老照片和物件、学校社区记忆

In their own words selected highlights, verbatim, de-identified

一辈子扎根钢城,以厂为家,三班倒,吃苦耐劳,非常辛苦。
单位是衣食父母。
没有勇气外出打拼。

Full interview parallel text

The complete question-and-answer record, in the order the respondent answered it (59 exchanges). The Chinese is the respondent’s own wording, transcribed from the photographed pages; illegible passages are marked 【难辨】 / [illegible] rather than guessed. The English is a working translation by the editor, not part of the source.

Left column: respondent’s Chinese, as written · Right column: editor’s working translation

您大概是哪一代人?

QRoughly which generation are you?

1980年代

A1980s

您和鞍钢/相关单位的关系?

QWhat is your relationship to Ansteel / a related work unit?

父/母曾在

AMy father/mother worked there

您小时候主要在哪里成长?

QWhere did you mainly grow up as a child?

鞍山市区

AAnshan city proper

家里会讨论「以后孩子要不要留在鞍山」吗?

QDid your family discuss whether the children should stay in Anshan in the future?

不记得

ADon't remember

如果讨论过,长辈是什么态度?(先选,再讲一件具体的事或一句他们说过的话)

QIf it was discussed, what was the elders' attitude? (choose first, then tell a specific event or something they said)

【勾选】不方便说 【手写】父母尊重我们自己选择

A[checked] Prefer not to say [handwritten] My parents respected our own choices

主要体现在哪些方面?(鞍钢/单位对家庭生活的影响)

QIn which aspects was it mainly reflected? (the work unit's influence on family life)

【勾选】住房 【手写】我小时候的房子是单位分配的,不用花钱的福利房

A[checked] Housing [handwritten] The home I lived in as a child was allocated by the work unit, a welfare apartment that cost no money

小时候您觉得父母的单位更像什么?

QAs a child, what did your parents' work unit feel more like to you?

保障

AA safety net / security

要让更多年轻人愿意留/回鞍山,您觉得最重要的是什么?

QTo make more young people willing to stay in / return to Anshan, what do you think matters most?

【勾选】适合年轻人的城市生活 【手写】新城市应该是蓬勃朝气【难辨】

A[checked] Urban life suited to young people [handwritten] A new city should be vibrant and full of energy [illegible]

您现在大概生活在哪里?

QRoughly where do you live now?

仍在鞍山

AStill in Anshan

您现在从事哪一类工作/学习?

QWhat kind of work/study do you currently do?

自由职业/个体

AFreelance / self-employed

您对九十年代那段变化的记忆,主要来自?

QYour memory of the changes in the 1990s mainly comes from?

我自己亲身经历过

AI experienced it myself

小时候,家里长辈常提鞍钢/单位吗?

QAs a child, did the elders at home often mention Ansteel / the work unit?

经常

AOften

长辈提到单位时是什么感觉?(先用您自己的词)

QWhat feeling came through when the elders mentioned the work unit? (first in your own words)

【勾选】辛苦 【手写】一辈子扎根钢城,以厂为家 三班倒 吃苦耐劳.非常的辛苦。

A[checked] Hard toil [handwritten] A whole life rooted in the steel city, treating the factory as home, working three shifts, enduring hardship. Extremely hard.

鞍钢/单位对家庭生活影响大吗?

QDid Ansteel / the work unit have a big influence on family life?

很大

AVery big

您是否曾离开鞍山学习/工作/生活?

QHave you ever left Anshan to study/work/live?

没有,一直在鞍山

ANo, always in Anshan

若离开,大概在什么时候?

QIf you left, roughly when?

其他

AOther

那段时间,您家有没有明显变化?

QDuring that period, did your family undergo obvious change?

年纪小不清楚

AI was too young to be clear about it

主要是哪些方面?(那段时间家庭的变化)

QIn which aspects mainly? (the family changes in that period)

【勾选】其他 【手写】因为年纪小,记不太清楚

A[checked] Other [handwritten] Because I was young, I don't remember it clearly

长辈当时的工作状态?

QWhat was the elders' work situation at the time?

留原岗

AStayed in their original post

有没有一个具体的小事,让您小时候感到「单位」就在你们家生活里?(一次分房、一次厂庆、食堂、澡堂、生病去厂医院…)

QIs there one small concrete incident that made you feel as a child that the 'work unit' was right there in your family life? (a housing allocation, a factory anniversary, the canteen, the bathhouse, going to the factory hospital when sick...)

我经常去父母单位洗澡,因为不收费,而且到他的办公室去玩耍。因为那里烧的水非常便宜,也很多。

AI often went to my parents' work unit to bathe, because it was free, and I would go to his office to play. Because the hot water there was very cheap, and plentiful too.

您身边同龄人,离开的多还是留下的多?

QAmong your peers, did more leave or more stay?

留下多

AMore stayed

您觉得年轻人离开鞍山,最主要因为什么?

QWhy do you think young people leave Anshan, most of all?

【勾选】行业选择少 【手写】鞍山现在是四线城市,发展空间大不了

A[checked] Few industry choices [handwritten] Anshan is now a fourth-tier city; there isn't much room to develop

父母那一代从鞍钢/单位生活中,传给您最多的是什么?

QFrom their Ansteel / work-unit life, what did your parents' generation pass on to you most?

【勾选】吃苦耐劳 【手写】父母的吃苦耐劳精神也体现在家里生活中

A[checked] Endurance of hardship [handwritten] My parents' spirit of enduring hardship is also reflected in daily life at home

父母教过您具体的工作技术吗?

QDid your parents teach you specific work skills?

基本没讲

ABasically never talked about it

如果您离开了:当时去了哪类地方?

QIf you left: what kind of place did you go to at the time?

其他

AOther

落脚在哪类行业?(大概即可)

QWhat kind of industry did you settle into? (approximate is fine)

没有想法

ANo idea / nothing in mind

您觉得哪些记忆最容易消失?

QWhich memories do you think are most likely to disappear?

其他

AOther

若做一个「鞍山老工业记忆」资料库,您觉得最该保存什么?

QIf an 'Anshan old-industry memory' archive were built, what do you think should most be preserved?

普通工人的故事;老照片和物件;学校社区记忆

AStories of ordinary workers; old photos and objects; school and neighborhood memories

您升学/找工作/离开或回鞍山时,父母的老同事或单位关系帮过忙吗?

QWhen you went to school / looked for work / left or returned to Anshan, did your parents' old colleagues or work-unit connections help?

基本没有

ABasically not

若帮过,主要哪方面?

QIf they helped, mainly in what way?

【勾选】其他 【手写】没有关系户

A[checked] Other [handwritten] There were no back-door connections

家里现在还和父母以前的同事、邻居、师傅、徒弟联系吗?

QDoes your family still keep in touch with your parents' former colleagues, neighbors, masters, and apprentices?

很少

ARarely

您有没有因为父母的经历,刻意避开或刻意选择某个职业/行业?(讲讲)

QBecause of your parents' experience, did you deliberately avoid or deliberately choose a certain occupation/industry? (please explain)

没有

ANo

父母那一代最希望您得到什么?

QWhat did your parents' generation most hope you would gain?

【勾选】稳定 【手写】不管哪个方面,稳定是最重要的

A[checked] Stability [handwritten] No matter which aspect, stability is the most important

您家是否保存过和鞍钢/单位有关的物件?(可多选)

QHas your family kept any objects related to Ansteel / the work unit? (multiple choice)

没有

ANone

离开鞍山的主要原因?

QThe main reason for leaving Anshan?

我没有离开过鞍山

AI have never left Anshan

若您留在/回到鞍山,主要原因?

QIf you stayed in / returned to Anshan, the main reason?

【勾选】不想离开熟悉环境 【手写】没有勇气去外出打拼

A[checked] Didn't want to leave a familiar environment [handwritten] I didn't have the courage to go out and strive elsewhere

带我回到您决定走/决定留/决定回来的那个时刻:当时在想什么?是什么让您拍板?

QTake me back to the moment you decided to leave / stay / return: what were you thinking? What made you decide?

没有出走鞍山,不想到陌生的环境中

AI did not leave Anshan; I didn't want to go into an unfamiliar environment

若讲过(具体工作技术),通常是哪类?

QIf they did talk (about specific work skills), usually what kind?

没讲过

ANever talked about it

父母的工作经历,对您的职业选择有影响吗?

QDid your parents' work experience influence your career choice?

说不清

AHard to say

更接近哪一种?

QWhich is closer (to your inclination)?

想找稳定工作

AWanted to find a stable job

有没有哪个问题您希望我不要记录、不要引用,或引用前必须再问您?

QIs there any question you'd like me not to record, not to quote, or to ask you again before quoting?

不确定

ANot sure

整理好后,您想先看一遍再决定是否公开吗?

QAfter it's compiled, would you like to review it first before deciding whether to make it public?

想看

AWant to review it

以后若需要补充访谈,您是否愿意通过介绍人再联系?

QIf a follow-up interview is needed later, would you be willing to be contacted again through the introducer?

不用了

ANo need

您是否愿意日后接受一次更深入的访谈?如果您的父母长辈方便,是否也愿意引荐他们一起参与?

QWould you be willing to take part in a more in-depth interview later? And if your parents/elders are available, would you introduce them to take part too?

再说

AWe'll see

听到「鞍钢」「钢城」,您第一反应是什么?

QHearing 'Ansteel' / 'Steel City', what is your first reaction?

没什么感觉

ANo particular feeling

您去过鞍钢博物馆、孟泰纪念馆或类似场所吗?

QHave you been to the Ansteel Museum, the Meng Tai Memorial Hall, or similar places?

听说过

AHave heard of them

这些地方对年轻人有用吗?

QAre these places useful for young people?

主要是纪念意义

AMainly of commemorative significance

用一个词形容父母那代和鞍钢的关系,您会用哪个?为什么?

QIn one word, how would you describe the relationship between your parents' generation and Ansteel? Why?

单位是衣食父母

AThe work unit was their provider (the source of their food and clothing)

用一个词形容您自己和鞍山的关系,您会用哪个?为什么?

QIn one word, how would you describe your own relationship with Anshan? Why?

我出生在鞍山的水土,一辈子扎根鞍山

AI was born of Anshan's soil and water; rooted in Anshan for a lifetime

您觉得外地人或年轻人最容易误解鞍山什么?

QWhat do you think outsiders or young people most easily misunderstand about Anshan?

没有发展空间

AThat there is no room for development

您觉得我们这代人做研究时,应该怎样更尊重地理解您父母那一代?

QHow do you think our generation, when doing research, should understand your parents' generation more respectfully?

以敬畏之心理解过往

AUnderstand the past with a heart of reverence

您会给孩子或晚辈讲鞍钢/鞍山的故事吗?

QDo you tell your children or younger relatives stories of Ansteel / Anshan?

不方便说

APrefer not to say

讲这些时,您更想传达什么?

QWhen telling these, what do you most want to convey?

父母那代的不容易

AHow hard it was for the parents' generation

您觉得这种老单位关系,对子女这一代还有影响吗?

QDo you think this kind of old work-unit tie still influences the children's generation?

不好说

AHard to say

以前的单位社区,和现在的普通城市社区有什么不同?(邻里、互助、熟人社会、孩子成长环境…)

QHow was the old work-unit community different from an ordinary city neighborhood today? (neighbors, mutual aid, acquaintance society, children's environment...)

没啥不同

ANo real difference

您希望下一代以后留在鞍山吗?

QDo you hope the next generation will stay in Anshan?

看鞍山未来发展

ADepends on Anshan's future development

您希望下一代进入制造/工程/钢铁/能源相关行业吗?

QDo you hope the next generation enters manufacturing/engineering/steel/energy-related industries?

不好说

AHard to say

「稳定工作」在您这一代和父母那一代之间,含义变了吗?

QHas the meaning of a 'stable job' changed between your generation and your parents' generation?

不好说

AHard to say

「离开家乡」在您这代人眼里是?

QIn the eyes of your generation, what is 'leaving one's hometown'?

成功

ASuccess

Significance to the comparison

The Anshan side of the comparison, in a first-person voice: how the danwei (work-unit) organized a whole life, what the 1990s restructuring did to it, and whether the next generation stayed or left. It is the lived-memory counterpart to the paper's question about what lets an industrial community absorb a transition.

Provenance

Field collection
Paper questionnaire completed voluntarily in Anshan, July 2026; photographed page by page; transcribed and de-identified for the archive. Original held privately.

Evidence media

  • Completed paper questionnaire, 24 photographed pages; 59 question-and-answer exchanges transcribed verbatim (original held privately).

Sources two independent sources, each resolving

  1. Anshan field collection questionnaire response, July 2026 (original held privately).
  2. Steel & Oil archive field instrument (职工本人版 / 子女·晚辈版), 2026.
Cite this record

Tim Qiao, ed., “A child of the steel city who stayed in Anshan (1980s generation),” Steel & Oil: Anshan–Houston Industrial Memory Archive, OHS-AS-101, version 0.2 (field-collected, Anshan, 2026). Citation formats and the stable-identifier scheme →